Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Last Days of Summer

In some ways the end of summer always seems like it comes too soon.  In some ways it seems like it can't come too soon.  I'm conflicted.  What's new?

I love the long, lazy, sleep in days.  I like barbeques and the smell of freshly mowed grass. I LOVE flowers and more flowers.  I really like having Travis and his friends around.

But then I love crisp autumn air and crunchy, orange leaves.  I like pumpkins and bulky sweaters and baking all day without worrying about heating up the house (remember we have no AC).   I love BSU football.  I love Steeler football.  I really like having the house to myself all day.  See what I mean about conflicted??

Here are some photos of our last two weeks of summer:

Last weekend was a medieval festival in the park in Matzenbach.  This is the village where our friends, the McGrath's live.  We went over to their house, and walked down to the park.

One of the performers

This guy was making jewelry.  He had his fire hooked up to come out through the stone dragon's nose.

Some handcrafted swords and shields


 There were some booths and street type entertainment.  The bare chested guy above had this cart he pushed around on wheels that had a little mouse in it that would run into different houses.  You could put money on a house to bet that the mouse would run into yours and then he'd take all the money and you'd win a little stuffed mouse. 
Basket Vendor.  I bough a handmade basket from this place.

A fortune teller....I think!?

Mikey likes his ice cream!






 We had the missionaries and the Crandalls over to dinner on Thursday.  It was SO hot and I tried to not cook too much. It's been miserable here.  We had over a week of HOT temperatures.  It got up to 90 degrees with 80% humidity! 


Watering my geraniums. They were hot, too!
Yesterday the weather finally turned cooler!  The cooler temps were accompanied by some big thunderstorms which made for a sad day at the flea market in Bad Durkheim.
Someone rode this pretty pink bike to the flea market.

This is the old salt works in Bad Durkheim

A beautiful vineyard near Bad Durkheim

This is the sad flea market.  Only about 10 vendors instead of 75.  Normally this place is packed.

This was an unusual sight on the autobahn.

Travis starts back to school Monday.  September is a really busy month around here.  The big ROSC bazaar, a stake women's conference, anxiously awaited visitors, a quick overnight trip to London and all the normal hubbub we live with everyday.  Should be interesting!

One of the awesome thunderstorms rolling through
love and miss you all,
-corri

No comments:

Post a Comment