Friday, December 9, 2011

Cruise to the Holy Land-Last Part!

We arrived at our last port, Civitavecchia, Italy, quickly got off the ship and took the port shuttle to the edge of the port.  From here, we planned to walk to the train station and take the train into Rome, which was about an hour away.  As we got off the shuttle, we were met by several taxi drivers telling us there was a transportation strike and we would have to take a very expensive taxi to the city. 

At the tour kiosk in Civitavecchia
We went into a little tour kiosk to ask about the strike and sure enough...no trains between 9 a.m and 9 p.m.   The tour kiosk did offer a "Rome on your Own" tour which was basically a bus ride into Rome and then a scheduled ride back on the same bus.  It only goes once a day and when it's full, it's full.  Luckily everyone from our group got on the bus except for Pextons, who were dismebarking from the cruise here and spending a couple of days in Rome, so they only needed a one way ride.  Thank goodness they have such a good friend in their corner.  Sharma pleaded their case and got them a seat on the bus!   Amazing what a true friend will do for you when you are stuck in the mud!

An hour later we arrived at St. Peter's Square and the big group split up into several small groups according to what their agenda for the day was.  We went with Shumates.  They had asked us before the trip if we'd like to go see the Borghese Art Galleria and if so, they'd get us tickets.  Great idea!  We had a couple of hours before our scheduled viewing time, so decided to forgo the metro option for now and just take our time walking through the city to the park where the Borghese Art Galleria was.
St Peter's Basilica

There were a few sights we didn't get a chance to see last time we were in Rome and lucky for us, Rob picked out a walking route that went right by the exact things we wanted to see.  

First was the Castel Sant'Angelo.  It was initially commissioned by the Roman emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family. The building was later used by the popes as a fortress and castle, and is now a museum.  It was featured in the book "Angels and Demons" as the location of the secret lair for the Hassassin and contained the last existing church of the Illumanati.



This is not the Ponte Sant'Angelo, but another bridge.  I took this photo from the Pont Sant'Angelo bridge.
 From here we crossed over the Tiber River by way of the Ponte Sant'Angelo bridge.  The bridge was completed in 163 A.D. and after the 16th century used to display the bodies of the executed.  Also during this time, the statues of the ten angels of passion were added to the bridge.

  


After crossing the river, we wandered down some iconic Italian streets.  It felt like we were in a movie it was so quaint and picturesque.  









We got a little lost for just a few minutes but then found our way to the Piazza Navona.  In the center of the piazza stands the famous Fountain of the Four Rivers (1651) by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, topped by the Obelisk of Domitian, brought here in pieces from the Circus of Maxentius.





 Just around the corner is the Pantheon. Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon's dome is still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome. The height to the oculus and the diameter of the interior circle are the same,  142 ft.   It is one of the best preserved of all Roman buildings. It has been in continuous use throughout its history, and since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a Roman Catholic church.





We couldn't go in because a Sunday service was going on but we got up to the doors and took a few photos from there.  It is where the artist, Raphael is buried.

We kept walking and found a McDonalds to grab a quick bite and try to use some wifi (with no luck) then we headed up the famous Spanish Steps. 


Notice....no backpack...how did I not see that??


It was getting pretty warm and after climbing the steps, I decided I might try and squeeze my coat into Travis' backpack.  As I was asking him if he had room, I noticed he wasn't wearing his backpack.  I asked him "where's your backpack?"  thinking he'd talked one of his friends into carrying for him.  He said "Uh..in McDonalds."   I thought...what a joker...who has it??   But no...its slowly dawned on me he was completely serious.   So I freaked out like every mom does when her sixteen year old does something she secretly fears she may do herself and I told him to get himself right back down the steps and to McDonalds to see if by some miracle someone had turned it in instead of taking it home with them.  We had to pick up our tickets in fifteen minutes and we were still quite a ways from the galleria.  Rob and McKay went on ahead and Sharma, the girls and I decided to wait right there for Travis.  

 As he ran off into the streets of Rome by himself (stubborn and lazy me, I didn't want to have to go back down and then back up those steps AGAIN!), I got so worried and mad at myself for sending my little baby boy off alone into who knows what kind of unknown danger in a big unfamiliar city.  What if he got lost?  What if someone mugged him?  Who cares about a silly backpack??  Arrgghh!  What kind of mom am I??  I wrestled with my inner angels and demons for about fifteen minutes and then I saw him running back towards us and I just melted.  Thank heavens for his safety, for tender mercies and miracle of miracles...he had his backpack!   Crisis averted! 




We then walked through this big beautiful park that overlooks Rome.  We all met up in time to make our appointed time to tour the galleria.  It is in a very pretty estate and the artwork in here is stunning.  I especially loved the pieces by Bernini.  


The beautiful Galleria Borghese



It was then time to make our way back to the Vatican and St. Peter's Square so we could do a little shopping and catch our bus back to the port.

On the steps at St. Peter's Square





We sailed away for our last night at sea...  

This was an experience of a lifetime.  We visited and saw places I never thought I'd see and know I will never see again.  We were so blessed to have such good friends to share it with.  We also got to meet new friends and get better acquainted with some people from our ward.  It was fantastic in every way but one... I wish Mike could have been there with us.  He works so hard and I'm sad he missed out on this, but we do have another one booked for June to the Baltics and St. Petersburg, Russia...if anyone one wants to join in, just let me know!


love and miss you all,
-corri

  

No comments:

Post a Comment