Sunday, August 26, 2012

And the Adventure continues...

I am writing this blog from my new house.  I feel a little weird saying that.  So much has taken place over the last two months and it will be a task to go back through all that has happened and try to to blog about it with my words and photos.  Our last days in Germany were jam packed with adventure and a lot of work thrown in for good measure.
 I'll start back in June.  Movers were scheduled to come in two waves.  First was the Household Goods shipment which was to include all of our furniture and most of everything else we own.  Then they would come get the Unaccompanied Baggage which is a small shipment that goes airmail and you can include the things you will need right away.  

 The blue X's mean "don't even think about packing what's in this cupboard!"
 The movers have finally arrived...at about noon!  Mike and I had to go to a formal military dinner that night, so we knew they'd never be done in time and they'd have to come back for a second day...ugh!




 Fitting in into each crate is like a puzzle.  There is usually one guy on the crew who is a master at this skill.
Almost empty....It was so sad...I'm trying not to cry even as I type this.  So many great memories here in this little duplex.

Well after two days of HHG movers and then a short pack up of our Unaccompanied shipment, we were down to bare bones for the next 8 weeks.  Sleeping on a mattress on the floor and using some rental furniture from the base. We didn't mind too much because we had more adventures to experience and so off we went...

 First up was a trip over to Prague to meet up with our son, Scott and our daughter in law, Emma.  We hadn't seen Emma since their wedding over a year ago and we were so excited to spend a little bit of time with both of them!
The subway was right next to our hotel...very easy to navigate.
 First we ran out to the wind tunnel they were working at and made plans to come out later and watch them work in the wind tunnel and then we'd head back to the hotel and then into the old town of Prague for some dinner....
 The beautiful Vltava River which flows through Prague.  We spent the afternoon just walking around the old town.  It was SO HOT!!  Unusually hot for Prague...I was melting.
Travis in front of the gate on one end of the Charles Bridge

 The Charles Bridge is famous for it's two very old and beautiful gates on each end and of course for the statures which line both sides of the bridge.
Rubbing this one for luck..see how shiny the rubbed parts are?




This was an interesting art display in a courtyard in old town.

Prague is known for it's handmade puppets

The mandatory ice cream or gelato stop!

 I guess I'm not the only one who wonders what those Scots wear or don't wear under their kilts.  I just happened to be taking a photo of the guy in his kilt when all of a sudden this lady reached down and lifted up his kilt to satisfy her curiosity!  I couldn't believe I snapped it and the perfect moment...by accident!
A pastry that is wrapped around a dowel, cooked over a flame and then doused in sugar.  Yum!

The very famous Astronomical Clock tower in old town.
We ran back out to the wind tunnel and watched Scott and Emma train and coach for about an hour then headed back into town for dinner.
Scott and Emma


Scott and Emma

a typical Prague street in old town

Our first try at dinner...but the sewer smell was awful.  We had to leave.

Our second and much more appetizing dinner option.

Scott had a duck

My goulash with steamed bread.  It was really good!
We explored for awhile after dinner and then we headed back to the hotel.   The next morning we had a very lovely buffet breakfast out on the patio of our hotel and then had to say good-bye to Scott and Emma.  They were headed back to the wind tunnel for a full day of work and we had to leave around noon to get back to Ramstein. 

 We spent the morning at the Jewish Cemetery.  It was so interesting and  beautiful in a sad way.





After seeing the cemetery and museum, we hiked up the hill to the Prague Castle.  It's a huge complex with many buildings and it looks more like a palace than a castle.  There is also a huge cathedral with some amazing gargoyles.

A bride and groom on their wedding day

The Cathedral


Walking down the staircase from the castle to the city

Travis taking a reading break


 After lunch, we started the 6 hour drive back home.  Mike had salmon for lunch.  For those of you who don't know, Mike has a love hate relationship with salmon.  He loves it but can seem to only eat wild salmon or else he swells up like a puffer fish.  Yes.  Serious allergic reaction.  We had to pull over and try to find some Benedryl, which usually carries with him but of course not on this trip.  I had some old expired Benny, so we doped him up, he went to sleep and I drove us on home.  Luckily we caught it before he swelled up to unrecognizable proportions or before he had trouble breathing!!  One of which is pretty funny, the other of which is NOT!

Tune in again soon.  Although I am sitting in the midst of unpacked boxes and have an earful of puppy whine in my ear (yes we did get a puppy and no the timing was not so great), I hereby vow to finish out this blog of our adventures and then make a decision on how to continue on with my writing and photography.  Life is wonderful and we are so happy to be back home among our family and friends here in the states.  Next blog....the cruise to the Baltics!!

love,
corri

No comments:

Post a Comment