Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Auf Wiedersehen Deustschland

    I have dreaded writing this last post for a year now.  I've known this adventure would come to a close and I would have to wrap up all the emotions and memories of the past three years into a nice bow.   It's been every bit as hard as I imagined it would be.  

I guess the only way to do this is to post a few photos of our last days in Germany.  It's hard because when I see these images it brings back a flood of feelings for people that have become life long friends no matter where in the world we are, for a land so beautiful in every season that it makes my heart ache to see it again and for all of our fun adventures in far away places.  


Fourth of July...German style!  Potluck picnic at the Shumate's

 Travis took advantage of the opportunity to get his wisdom teeth out at an Air Force Dental Clinic...brave boy!!  
Poor chipmunk cheeks!
We spent some really great evenings with some of our favorite people ever....



Me and Lonette
I turned over not just the notebook but the love and care of the wonderful women in the Kaiserslautern Military Stake to the new stake R.S. President, Lonette.  What a coincidence that she's the cousin of one of our oldest friends!
And a last lunch with the "more mature ladies" lunch bunch.  Oh how I will miss you all!!

Horst-grilling some schwein steaks

Our wonderful landlords, Horst and Jutta Katzenberger took us out to dinner and then for a tour of their beautiful backyard.  What a tender mercy to have by chance found the best rental with the best landlords.  They became such good friends to us and we hope to stay in touch....maybe they will come visit us here in Idaho!?


Travis enjoyed some last minute time with the guys too...
 Packing his suitcase for the airplane trip back to Boise...such mixed feelings....sad but happy and anxious to get back to our family and friends in Eagle.
 Our last sunrise in Germany taken as we were driving to the Frankfurt Airport.  

This has been the adventure of a lifetime.  A dream that actually came true.  Memories to last forever.  It was...

flowers, autobahns, pine trees, vineyards, castles, trains, autumn leaves, a little green mini, Schnitzel, biking, Doners, antiks, Flohmarkts, snow, rain, Dirndels, Apfelschorle, Traubensaft, New Years Eve fireworks, Brotchen, new friends, Christmas Markets, Cathedrals, the best landlords ever, Ausfahrts, beautiful drives, roundabouts, quaint villages, yellow rapeseed fields, lazy rivers, BMW's, Flamekuchen, festivals, church, and so much more..

And travels to: France, Switzerland, Italy, Sicily, Greece, Turkey, Czech Republic, Ireland, England, Scotland, Belgium, Tunisia, Spain, Luxembourg, Sweden, Denmark Israel, and Russia.
On our front door when we got here!

And now we are back!!  How blessed are to be back in the embrace of our loved ones...to have a beautiful place to call our home and to renew our old friendships.  Life goes on...it is just one big adventure..and I am grateful for that!  

Thank you for sharing this amazing adventure with us and we wish you unforgettable life adventures too!

always,
-corri

No comments:

Post a Comment