Sunday, May 2, 2010

Shornsteinfeger!

No..it's not what you think!


A Shornsteinfeger is quite popular around here and very busy all year round.  I have seen them out and about and wondered when one would make a possible appearance at our house.


Day before yesterday, the door bell rang and I opened the door  and was so surprised to see one on my front stoop!
They are typically almost completely black and sure enough this one was just what I had expected to see when and if I ever saw one at my house.  


This one was a bit shy but was able to communicate pretty well so I let him in and he went directly upstairs and then up the ladder and into the attic. That's where they like to go when they come inside.  When he had done all he wanted to up there, he came back down to leave and I was able to snap a quick picture of this shy, yet friendly Shornsteinfeger before he went on his way!!


Have you guessed yet....Is it a bird, a type of cat????   Is it a dog..or a little rodent...
WHAT is IT!?


Scroll down to find out :)


























You got it.....it's a typical German chimney sweep.  This one drives around in this cute little car.  They dress in these cool looking black outfits with brass buttons and carry brushes, bristled wires and ladders.   I have really wanted to get a picture and he was so nice to pose by his car for me.   I think he was just really happy because when he asked if we had used the fireplace a lot this year, I said "not really, maybe four or five times".  Then he said "Oh this is an easy job"  and he was only here for ten minutes.


The blog is short and sweet today.  I was a bit blogged out from all the cruise pics and I also had a busy, busy week and weekend this week.  
We had a stake auxiliary training on Saturday and we as a stake Relief Society presidency opted to do a whole day long "retreat".  So there was lots of planning and preparing ahead of Saturday to get everything ready and then the actual event on Saturday.  We did a "We're all in this together" theme.   It was a really fun but busy day!   






Last night after I got home from the church, the boys (Chris is staying with us for a few days) and I went to the High School to see their production of "Guys and Dolls".   It was really good!   There were three kids from our ward in it.  It was fun to watch them and of course the audience was filled with all of our friends.  It was a fun night.  Most of the pics didn't turn out, but here is one during their final bows.








The weather has been so nice here...lots of sunshine.  Yesterday the weather went a bit south and now we have rain and more rain in the forecast for the next three or four days.
I did get in a good bike ride with Karma on Friday.  We went almost 10 miles in about an hour.  I really like riding and hope to increase the mileage each time I go until I can get up to 20 miles.  That's the goal!
Here's a picture of one of the tunnels we go through on our bike rides.  


Well that about it for this week... told you it was short and sweet!   Speaking of sweet...one last picture or our apple trees in bloom.   Now I have posted pics of them in three seasons..fall, winter, and spring.....can you believe we have been here for that long???  Me either!  




Love and miss you all,
-corri 

2 comments:

  1. Do you order the chimney sweeps or do they just show up. Do you pay them or are they paid by city, or government?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our landlord has him come once a year and he pays him. It's included in our rental agreement.

    ReplyDelete