Travis left on Sunday evening for EFY in Nottingham, England. It was a 16 hour trip by bus and ferry boat. He had a great time! He made friends from England and Wales and now he can tell the difference between a Welsh accent and and an English accent. They got back on Saturday or should I say Sunday morning at 1:30 a.m.
Meanwhile, back here it was a pretty boring week. Mike sold the X5, so we only had one car...the mini. We did borrow one of the McGrath's cars for a few days, but that wasn't really working out, so we are making due until MIke finds what he wants to replace the X5. Things are getting a bit desperate though with Travis back and wanting to get to his friends houses and other places.
So what did we do all week while we were having a preview of being empty nesters???
Mike worked....I played :)
I went to Fishbach to see Missy's favorite antique dealer, Olaf. It is a fun forty-five minute drive up into the woods north of here. Olaf had some amazing stuff. I wish I had taken some pictures, but I was just too busy looking at everything. He had a grandfather clock like I have been looking for. About one hundred years old and so cute!! He had a little bit of work he wanted to do on it, so I don't have it yet. Hopefully this week sometime.
On Thursday Missy, Karrie Jaster and I drove up to Tongeren, Belgium to do a little "recon". Karrie had heard of a good furniture store near there. It's about a two and a half hour drive. We were a bit disappointed in the store...all imported stuff from India and expensive...just not our cup of tea.
Then we drove in to Tongeren which is the oldest city in Belgium. It has a very famous Antique Market but it is only open on Sundays, so that counts me out.
We thought there might be lots of other little antique shops around there that would be open all week, but were again disappointed to find out even the shops are only open on the weekends.
We did wander around the city, found a open air market where I bought some of the biggest and yummiest macaroons I've ever seen. Then we found a cute outdoor cafe to have lunch at. I ordered a bacon and cheese omelet that came with some really good warm french bread.
For dessert we all split a chocolate Belgian wafffle......oh sooo good!!
On the way home, we stopped at a chocolate factory and I managed to spend twenty something Euro on twenty pounds of delicious belgian chocolate. It was a very fun day!
Ag report: The corn is tall and the grapes in the vineyards are ripening. The vineyards are so beautiful with the rows and rows of trellised vines climbing all over the steep hills!
Weather report: Perfect weather...upper 70's, and an occasional low 80. Blue skies with puffy white clouds. We have had a rain shower here and there, just enough to keep everything green. I am so glad that hot, muggy stuff didn't last too long!
Lesson learned this week: It was too quiet without Travis around...I am certainly not ready to be an empty nester yet!!!
love and miss you all,
-corri

No comments:
Post a Comment