Monday, December 13, 2010

Did someone say "Christmas"??

I must be in a state of denial this year because Christmas has truly snuck right up on me.  Is it REALLY less than two weeks away!?


I love this time of year, I really, really do.  But honestly this year I have been lacking in good old fashioned, deck the halls, let's be merry Christmas cheer.  I think I will chalk it up to 


1. Mike is gone...now I know some of you are laughing at this because Mike is known as the grinch or scrooge most of December.  He does turn into Santa, but that's only on the 24th when he starts his shopping.  However, this year he got all of his shopping done and mailed out way ahead of me.  Go figure, he must be bored in the desert.  I can't remember Mike ever not being with the family on Christmas.  One way or another he has always managed to be around.  We may have had to open presents at 4:00 a.m. before he went to work, or delay traveling a to see family for a day or two, but this year he really won't be here.  It's just me and Travis.  I know...we could have come home.  But there is a part of me that feels if Mike is doing his part to serve his country far away from home, then at least T.J. and I can be this close to him. I would feel even more miserable for him if we were in Boise with family, celebrating and having fun while he wasn't there with us. 
Where's the tree???


 2. I have no tree.  This is  a big sore spot right now and an empty spot as well as you can see by the picture.  That is a picture of where the tree is supposed to be.  I had good intentions.  Last Wednesday night, Travis was working at the boy scout sponsored tree lot on base.  I just figured I would pick up a tree when I picked him up after his shift.  They assured me it was no problem to tie the tree on top of the mini.  Well, we got a flash snowstorm and road conditions went to RED in a matter of an hour,  so I got the call to come pick up Travis early and get the heck out of dodge.  So much for a a tree that night.  Then school was cancelled on Thursday, Travis had friends over on Friday, Saturday was a stake leadership Christmas party and then it was Sunday....still no tree.  I am hoping to get one tonight for family home evening.  Stay tuned next week to see if I can pull it off.  


3. This is the clincher.  I am trying not to have a major meltdown and pity party.  Honestly, it is just sad.  I get way too nostalgic for when all the kiddos were home and the hustle and bustle of trying to make it a magical, memorable Christmas.  Now all of them  have lives of their own and are making their own traditions and memories... except for Travis (who is a teenager and would like to have a life of his own but he has to still be my baby for a few more years, poor kid).  This is a GOOD thing, I keep reminding myself.  I raised them to be good, successful, happy people and now they've gone and done it.  Good for me....no, really, I mean it!


awwhh....memories of Christmases past....
I am getting my few meager decorations up.  I am most excited about this adorable hand carved, hand painted Santa from Russia that I got from Svetlana at the bazaar in September.  




So this is the week to finish up the decorations, then next week Travis will be out of school.  We hope to get to a couple of Christmas markets and then do some Christmas baking.  Just typing those words puts me in the spirit.  I better hurry...Christmas will be here before I know it!
I hope you all are enjoying this time of year.   I love the quote that says If you can't find Christmas in your heart, you surely won't find it under a tree.   May we all rediscover the true meaning of this time of year.   
love and miss you all,
-corri

No comments:

Post a Comment