Another busy week...
Last weekend was the stake women's conference that we started planning back in the spring when I was first called to be stake relief society president. This final week of planning is always full of last minute preparations and set up. It all went off with out a hitch, thanks to the amazing women I work with in the presidency, some amazing teachers and a wonderful food committee! I think the more than 120 women who attended left feeling refreshed and energized, which as our theme "Refresh Yourself" was the goal.
The very next day, I switched modes and went in to my FUN, FUN, FUN mode....
My friend Karma came to visit for 5 days. She had been in Germany for a week, but was visiting other friends until Sunday. I have really missed her (she moved back to Washington from Germany last December) and was so thrilled to have her here for a visit, even if it was a short one!!
We spent our days driving to some places she hadn't been, visiting, eating and generally having a great time no matter what we were doing.
Our first day we went to Saarburg. I've been there before, but knew Karma would love it, so off we went...
 |
| The castle at Saarburg |
 |
| Ready to go in and climb to the top. |
 |
| It was a long, narrow spiral staircase up the tower. |
We climbed to the top of the tower and took a few photos. The view of the Saar River, the villages and the vineyards was spectacular! This place really is a hidden gem. Not many Americans know about it. And the Germans don't really care, because they are surrounded by these hidden gems everywhere. I told my neighbor, August that Karma and I were going to Saarburg and after he corrected my pronunciation, he said 'Why??" It was funny.
After exploring the castle, we walked into town for some lunch. There is nothing like eating a long, lazy lunch outside, in the sunshine, next to a beautiful river, surrounded by flowers in every color, with a dear friend! It is what memories are made of!
 |
| Saarburg, Aldsadt |
 |
| "Where's my Neuewein??" |
 |
| The traditional Zwiebelkuchen....an onion cake. It's like a quiche type dish. |
The next day, we went the other direction and went to Freinsheim and Darmstadt.
Freinsheim is an old walled city on the Deutsche Weinstrasse. This is an area around the Rhein River that is full of vineyards...it's wine country and just beautiful this time of year.
 |
| Grapes! | |
 |
| One of the gates in the wall around old Freinsheim |
 |
| Time for some Flammekuchen |
 |
| The wall |
 |
| Another gate with short turrets |
 |
| The inner wall |
We then drove over to the Darmstadt area to see Castle Frankenstein. It's a little confusing because there are two. One is in a village named Frankenstein near Bad Durkheim and then there's this one, the supposedly official one. They have a big haunted house here every year and they were setting up for it when we visited. So fun!!
 |
| The gate tower in front of the castle |
  |
| A little chapel at the castle |
 |
| Inside the small chapel |
 |
| Some carved stonework inside the chapel |
 |
| The ramparts |
 |
| Lots of carved graffiti in the railing |
 |
| A very well worn staircase in the castle |
 |
| Haha! Some props for the haunted house. |
 |
Having a little ice cream snack before the drive home.
The last day we did some shopping. There was a Neuer Wein Stand outside of Globus. It's new grapes that haven't really fermented yet..almost like grape juice. It's in the big jugs on the table in the photo below. | | | |
|
|
 |
| Jugs of Neuer Wine |
The last night Karma was here, we drove up to an old church and Gasthaus near Kusel for dinner. This place has good food and a fantastic view of the surrounding valleys.
 |
| Having a great dinner with friends...Mike McG., "Kingman" and Karma. |
|
|
Karma left Friday and went back to Washington for some silly reason like she wanted to kiss her grandbaby and hug her husband...or was it hug her granbaby and kiss her husband?? I can't remember which!? I know it was just an excuse to go home and wear her new dirndl.
 |
| Pinterest, facebook and emails...more fun when you're do it with a friend! |
On Saturday, I changed gears again and went to the Homburg flea market with some friends. Oh, how I love that flea market. Just when I think I can't find anything wonderful...boom! There is my special treasure! This week I came home with an antique food scale for only 11 euro...what a steal!! I also found some pretty turquoise bottles and another small old window.
Then that evening it was HOMECOMING!! Travis' first real date...I'm getting all misty just typing this. He looked so handsome and his date, Shelby looking stunningly beautiful!
They all met over at Bishop Adam's house, where the girls, including his daughter, had been getting all gorgeous for hours.
 |
| Bishop Adams and the guys. |
 |
| Paparazzi |
 |
| Jump! |
 |
| Romeo, Romeo.... |
 |
| Dallin, Derrek, and Travis |
 |
| Thoughtful pose... |
 |
| The boys being boys...The girls being girls... |
 |
| The whole group...Such amazingly great teenagers!!! |
 |
| Travis and Shelby...so cute!! |
The parents were all there snapping photos, beaming with pride and remembering their days of glory. It's hard to comprehend where the time goes and how in the world we can have kiddos old enough to be dating. Okay so some of us were wondering how we can be old enough to have grandkids...but trust me, it happens.
love and miss you all,
-corri
Corri, your posts are so fun! You are making me homesick for Germany! I loved the Baroque churches there, so very beautiful. I take tons and tons of photos whenever we are there. We have not been in a few years now. Must go soon. Your son and his friends look so handsome! What fun! xxoo
ReplyDeleteMarie- I say the same about England. I love visiting there and take tons of photos. It's really my favorite place to visit and I feel a strong connection having almost all of my ancestors from there. I'll see you at Oak Cottage :)
ReplyDelete