Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A few of my favorite things...

It's been a wonderful week!  
A week to count my blessings and be reminded of Gods' tender mercies.



On Sunday we got to sleep in an hour because of the time changing here in Germany.  We are now only 7 hours ahead of those of you in the mountain time zone.  As we left for church, the church bells from the tall steepled church here in our little village were ringing.  I love the sound of bells on a crisp, colorful, autumn Sunday morning!  Not only that, but as we got out of our car in the church parking lot in K-town, church bells were ringing again.  To me, that was a double tender mercy...being serenaded twice in one morning by one of my favorite things....church bells!



On Monday morning the movers arrived bright and early with LOTS of my favorite things!  All seven crates arrived from their long journey across the U.S. and the Atlantic Ocean.  Can you believe it only took them just over three hours to unload all the crates and put the beds and tables back together?  


Our biggest worry was whether or not the king size bed would fit up the stairs.  They tried the queen first and the mattress made it but the box springs didn't!    They had to lift it up over the balcony and take it in through the master bedroom.  The king box springs were no problem because they are in two pieces, but the mattress didn't make the corner and was too tall to go in the door up on the balcony.  They finally just folded the mattress in half and took it up the stairs!   So our bed seems to have a big bend in the middle but hopefully it will work it's way out before too long.  I LOVE my king size bed...it is definitely one of my favorite things!



I can't believe the mountains of boxes full of all the things we thought two months ago we could not live without.  We have way too much!!   I have been unpacking for two straight days and although I am making great progress and the end is in sight, I am still sitting here with piles of stuff in the kitchen, a dining room table full of dishes and glassware and nick nacks and pictures that don't have a place to go yet.  



Yet as I look around me, I feel so happy and I can't help but smile.  It may be a mess, but it's a good kind of mess.  I am surrounded by my favorite things!  The photos of the kids and grandkids, my books, the dining room chairs I recovered when we moved to Portobello Ct., my funny little ceramic pig , our photo albums and so much more.


I have thought a lot this week about "home" and where is home?  I believe it is where the heart is ( which will always be Boise), but it is also where you hang your hat.  That is to say: where your favorite things are... and this house in Germany is finally starting to feel like HOME!


Love and miss you all!
-corri

No comments:

Post a Comment