Sunday, November 22, 2009

German Ingenuity

Hello one and all!



If you are wondering what Mike and T.J. do on Sunday afternoon while I am blogging...here they are contributing!  They are not watching ice skating.  They are watching the back of their eyelids.


I thought I would share a few of the things I love here in Germany.  They really have a few things totally figured out:



1. I love the rolladens on the windows and some doors.  They are rolling aluminum shades on the outside of the window.  You control them from inside and you can have them completely up, partially up, completely down or down, but with little holes that let some light in.  They make the house very secure and are energy effecient.
2. Who knew I would love roundabouts SO much!  They make traffic move so much faster than intersections. Once you figure out how to enter and exit them like the locals, that is!
3. Schnitzel...I actually get cravings for it :)  
4.  It's so clean!  How do they get a whole country to sweep their driveways, sidewalks and even the gutters every Saturday??  If you go for a walk or a drive on Saturday you will see them all out with their brooms and dustpans, sweeping.  But you won't see them doing it on Sunday!
5. Their walking/biking trail system is amazing!  Every village is interconnected with trails, some paved and some not.  They crisscross all over through the woods and around the fields.  You can bike or walk from village to village for days and days.  The Germans love to walk and bike.  There are three cute little old ladies that walk arm in arm down my street to get to the trails everyday, no matter what the weather is. 


Well enough of that for now.  Here's what's been happening in our neck of the woods....




Mike is back from his trip to Ankara, Turkey. He didn't take any pictures and YES, I did chew him out for that.  He had a great time hanging out with the Generals and eating lots of good food.  I think they did some work as well.


Travis and I managed pretty well without him, except for Tuesday night when I  had to drive him to scouts in the pouring rain, in the dark, on the autobahn and in quitting time traffic.  I had a severe case of white knuckles.  The roads are just so shiny and everyone's headlights are so bright.....but I took a big girl pill and dealt with it.


The young men and young women had a temple trip on Saturday to the Frankfurt temple.  Travis  said the temple is quite small and located right in the city.  The kids always like to eat at this Chinese restaurant down the street from it and he said it was really good.


I have been a stamping fool this week.  I have never been much of a stamper, but my friend, Karma, invited me along to a few stamping activities this week and I love it!  The thing I like the best about it so far is that I pay a small fee and get to use all the stuff, make a big mess and then leave with my treasures :)
Here you can see Karma all smiles and me looking confused.  That's pretty much how it is, which is actually good for a lot of laughs!


One little bit of church news.  Mike and I were asked to go visit with the first counselor in the stake presidency this morning at church.  At first I thought he just wanted to get to know us a bit, but then what do you know, he asked me if I would serve as....you will have to wait until next week to find out!  


We are looking forward to this week with a bit of sadness.  It really won't seem like Thanksgiving without celebrating with our older kids, grandkids and extended family.  Oh how we will miss you and of course the food!  We have tried inviting some people over, but everyone has plans or is out of town.  It looks like it will just be the three of us and a 10 pound turkey!   Mike and Travis are going skiing on Friday.  Saturday we will go explore Germany some more!  
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and know that we are thankful beyond words for each of you and for your love and support.


Love and miss you all!
-corri

2 comments:

  1. I would trade a big thanksgiving dinner for a weekend in Germany any day. Sounds like a blast to me!

    ReplyDelete