Sunday, November 29, 2009

Skiing in the Alps


Travis and I went skiing yesterday on the tallest Mountain in Germany.  The resort is called Zugspitze located in the Bavarian Alps.  The view from the top was spectacular.  







There were two ways to the top, a train that goes under the glacier or a gondola that climbs right up the face of the cliff. 







 Travis and I chose the 15 minute gondola ride over the 45 minute train ride.  Once you get on top you can see most of the lifts and runs because everything is open with no trees.  The top of the mountain has a permanent glacier with 6 ski lifts on the glacier.  









Later on in the year when the snow level drops you can take lifts from the valley floor all the way to the top and ski the entire mountain.  It was a great day with clear blue skys.  You could see the Alps clear into Austria. 









 We picked a perfect day... the longest we had to wait in line for a lift was 2 or 3 chairs.  It's nice to have Travis along when its time for lunch, the first words out of my mouth are "sprechen sie Englisch" when they say "nine" I just point but Travis jumps in with all the right lingo.  Its hard to tell who is better at German Travis or Corri but I think Travis is a little more advanced.
















On a side note, nothing to do with our trip... everyone who comes to Germany needs to learn about the "fahrts"  the most famous fahrt is the "ausfahrt"  There are also "gut fahrts" and "bad fahrts".  Translation:  "exit, "good exits" and "stinky farts"!
They have t-shirts here that say "I ausfahrted in Germany!"    On the autobahn, the exits signs all read "Ausfarht" so it's pretty funny.


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment