Saturday, November 28, 2009

So Thankful!





I hope you all have had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend with family, friends and good food.  We have sure had a memorable one!




Our friends Karma and Larry Kauffman invited us to have Thanksgiving dinner with them.  ( I think she read last week's blog and felt sorry for the three of us and our 10 pound turkey)   They also invited the Morello's, Pete, Heidi and their daughter, Sophia.  Sophia is so adorable and reminded me so much of Ellie and London!  Mike knows Pete from the ID air guard and I met Heidi through Karma and our german class.  It was quite a feast!  I would say us girls can whip up some very tasty fixin's.   We are so grateful for good friends near and far!



After dinner, we jumped in the car and headed to Garmisch.  We stopped about 11:45 in Munich to sleep and then got up at 6:30 and drove another hour to Garmisch.  Garmisch is in the Bavarian region of Germany and sits right at the base of the tallest peak in Germany...the Zugspitse!  It is part of the German/Austrian Alps.


They dropped me off at the Edelweiss resort, which is a US military resort like Shades of Green or the Hale Koa.  It's very nice!   We wanted to stay there but of course it was booked long before we even arrived in Germany.


























Mike and Travis quickly got their lift passes and headed up to the Zugspitze.  I spent the day exlploring the resort and then walking the mile into town to sightsee and do a little shopping.  It was just a beautiful sunny day, about 50 degrees.  The town is very scenic, in fact it is probably exactly what you picture when you think "Germany"  The town is famous for its murals, which are painted on most of the houses and businesses.  It reminded me of Vale, Oregon.  Also, the architecture is a very distinct bavarian, gingerbread type that just fun to look at!









This mural was on the side of the
Edelweiss resort.








































This was my favorite store... a cut flower (schnittblumen) and fruit market.  I loved how they just placed the evergreen boughs right on the ground in front of the store.  It smelled so good!
Well that about sums up our weekend.  Now you can see why it was so memorable for us. 
Mike and Travis plan on blogging about their day of skiing the alps tonight or tomorrow. They have some amazing photos, so please check back soon!


One other note:  I did tell you that I would tell you what the stake president wanted from me...Well I will be serving as first counselor in the stake Relief Society.  It will be a busy but fun calling and I look forward to serving the sisters in our stake!


I want you to know we may have been busy having a fun adventure this week, but all of you were never far from out thoughts.  We are so happy to have new friends and make new memories, but we couldn't help but remember all of our wonderful Thanksgivings back home. We love you and miss you all!!
-corri
ps...I had all kinds of trouble with this entry this week.  I just could NOT get the text and the pictures lined up just how I wanted.  I had to rewrite it like four times...anyway it is what it is and please forgive the boo-boos :)

No comments:

Post a Comment