I promised myself that this week I would concentrate on all of my many blessings, to make new memories and to NOT think of all I would miss back home. It worked for the most part, although there were a few moments where I just could not hold back the tears or swallow the big lump in my throat. It has been a bittersweet Christmas...but one for the memory books!
Travis and I made the usual plate of cookies to take to a few friends and neighbors. Yes, mom, we did carry on the tradition of frosted sugar cookies (or "pattern cookies" as we call them). Travis even rolled out the dough, cut out the cookies and frosted them. He was a big help! We also made Lori Hurd's gingersnaps, a new lemon glazed mexican wedding cake cookie, and we made chocolate chip cookies, which the German neighbors loved!
We received several plates of goodies as well, including a really nice one from our landlords, Horst and Jutta. It was full of fruit, nuts, cookies and chocolates..mmmmm!
On Christmas Eve we hoped to take a day trip to Rothenbrg ob der Tauber. It is a medieval city that is famous for being a Christmas town year round. Unfortunately, we found out before we left that the market was closed for the year. After trying to find somewhere else and finding most towns were pretty much closed down for the holidays, we gave up and decided to watch the Tim Allen Santa Claus movie marathon on AFN.
Christmas morning we found the Christkind had stopped by and filled up the shoes with goodies. In Germany they actually celebrate a bit differently than in the states. The tree doesn't get put up until Christmas Eve. The kids are taken somewhere and mom secretly fixes up the tree and places the gifts and fills the shoes. Then when the kids come home, they see the Christkind has been there and they open presents that night.
In Germany, Sinter Klaus actually comes on December 6th. He doesn't come down the chimney, he climbs a rope or ladder up to a window or even just comes in the front door. Many of the homes here have a santa on a ladder as part of their decorations. Another fun tradition is the orange in the toe of the stockings. I know my mom always put a tangerine in ours and so I did too for my kids. Travis was telling us how that tradition actually started here in Germany. The story goes: There were some girls long ago who had no dowry and so couldn't get married. Saint Nikolas came by and put some golden balls in their stockings which were hanging by the fireplace to dry. The next day they found the gold balls and were able to get married. The oranges represent the golden balls.
Mike stuck with that tradition, only we forgot to ship over our stockings and so he used his long johns!?!
Later that day we actually had a Christmas miracle. First of all we were able to have a terrific internet connection that allowed us to do an iVideo and iChat with Pat, Natasha and London at my mom and dad's house. We watched her open her presents! It was almost as good as being there!!
Then we decided to give the video phone a try and call Codi and the kiddies. We have not been able to make it work since they did an upgrade a few days before Christmas, but miracle of miracles...it worked!! We were able to see their happy smiley faces and have a nice visit!
Seeing my grandkids really made my Christmas! I am so grateful that it all worked out. I also got wonderful messages from the world traveling boys, Scott in New Zealand and Cade in Hawaii. We miss them all so much!
All in all we had a wonderful Christmas Day. It was quiet....a bit too quiet. I had to keep my mind on other things to not think of all of our family celebrating, eating and enjoying each other's company without us....and most of the time I wasn't too successful.
The day after Christmas, Mike and TJ went skiing at Winterburg. They had a really fun day and will post pics after they get back from their next ski trip. Tomorrow they are going to Austria to ski at Sölden.
One last thing...
Last night while Mike and TJ were gone, I was invited out to dinner with Horst and Jutta and their college aged daughter, Dorothee. I was so nervous to go. They were also meeting Jutta's sister in law, who doesn't speak any english. They just insisted I go since I was home alone. Well, I had such a fun time. I tried to speak some German, Dorothee and Jutta did a lot of translating and we just had a ball. We shared cultural and family traditions and memories, talked politics and religion and we laughed a lot. On the way home, Jutta said "Isn't it amazing that you can meet someone and it's like you have known them forever?" That summed up the whole night.
Our first Christmas in Germany was a memorable one. We are so blessed to have a loving and supportive family, old friends , new friends, our freedom and a deep and abiding faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
-corri

No comments:
Post a Comment