Sunday, March 6, 2011

To be, or not to be...

Altdahn Castle
The sun has been shining for us all week, which is heavenly!   It's still a bit chilly, but I'll take it as long as the sun is part of the bargain.


I had an opportunity this week to take a day trip to Dahn, Germany with a few of the ROSC ladies.  First we went to the basket outlet store in Dahn and spent an hour shopping.  They have lots of baskets and seasonal stuff.  I bought some fun Easter things to decorate the entry way with. 


After the basket factory, we drove about 5 minutes out of the village to the Altdahn castle complex.
This is a group of three clifftop castle ruins that stretch across the crest of five red sandstone cliffs.  You drive up a ways and then hike up the rest of the way.  It was built starting with the first one in about 1130.  It was built for a family of knights who added castles as their family grew.  In 1345 Count Johann took the castle from the Knights of Dahn and it was eventually destroyed in 1689.

One of the castle turrets

Old door covered by an old gate

If stairs could talk!
 Then next day, on Tuesday, we got word in the afternoon that two airmen had been shot and two wounded at the Frankfurt Airport.  This caused the base to go in to an immediate emergency situation.  They considered closing school for Wednesday, but decided to go ahead as scheduled as more information was gathered.  It was a sad and scary evening.  We usually feel very safe and protected here.  Our thoughts and prayers are with the airmen's families as they deal with the senseless loss of their loved ones and we know the airmen are now in the arms of the Savior.


Travis has been rehearsing since January for a high school play.  Well, actually two one act plays.  This weekend, all the rehearsing payed off as they finally got to perform for three nights.  They performed two comedies.  One was written by the director, Mr. Nukala called "The Write Stuff" and the other is called "The Actor's Nightmare".


Travis was awesome!!  He even sang twice!  Mike and I went all three nights and really enjoyed it....even if the second play was really weird!?




Travis singing!!








I also went to the ROB Bazaar with Susan but only bought some great Dutch cheese and some yummy stroop waffles.  Then on Saturday Mike and I went to the Homburg flea market, which is one of my favorites!   Mike got some screws and I got a crystal platter and a basket.  Not very big purchases, but I'm saving up for the next two weekends.  This Friday, I leave for a  trip with Susan to celebrate her birthday and we're going to Prague!!  Then the next weekend is a quick trip up to Cuijk to hit the indoor flea market up there.   


The weather is turning and that means it's time to hit the road and see some sights, so hopefully the blog will be full of good photos and good memories to share with all of you!


love and miss you all,
corri

No comments:

Post a Comment