Last spring when Mike first found out about the retired rated officer recall program, he told his good friend Mike McGrath he should look into it too. As Mike M. watched Mike P. jump through the hoops of paperwork, losing a few pounds, and making hundreds of phone calls, he found himself being sucked in to the magic, fairy dust and daydreaming possibilities of it all. And what do you know he was soon following in Mike P.'s footsteps. Not only did he get accepted back to the Air Force, but he got the best assignment of all...working in the same unit as Mike P. here at Ramstein AFB.
Yesterday Mike, Missy and Chris arrived looking a little stunned and wiped out from the whole packing, moving, traveling half way across the world experience. I was so happy to see them...they looked mah-velous to me!
We spent the day driving around the base, Spesbach, Hütschenhousen, Landstuhl and Einsiedlerhof. We gave them a tour of our house and then we went to lunch at Chili's on base and then got them checked in to their temporary housing. Missy and I went to the commisary to stock up their fridge. They held up pretty good and boy do I remember that "i've hit the wall" feeling they were feeling by the time we dropped them off. I can't tell you how excited we are that they are here sharing this awesome experience with us!!
Today I went to Baumholder for their branch conference. It was such a neat experience. This is a military branch about an 45 minutes north of here. It is mostly army and they deploy as a post, so every other year or so they all pack up and deploy for a year and leave their young little families with only about 5 priesthood leaders to watch over them. They returned from deployment a few months ago and so the branch was about as full as it gets. There were 9 women in Relief Society, 5 young men, 3 young women. It is a very small branch! They were so happy and appreciative to have all the stake leaders there. I am so amazed and impressed at their strength, faith, and dedication. I was just constantly holding back the tears as their Bishop told us some of the experiences these young little families have been through. They meet in a big house that has been nicely converted to a church building. The Relief Society room was about 12x12 and had four rows of 5 chairs, a piano, and a small table at the front of the room. The chapel was small and didn't have pews, but rows of chairs. I wish I had been able to take some pictures, but I was just too busy to take out my camera.
Travis and I are counting the days until Mike gets home. Only about 6 days to go! I hear he had a great weekend visiting with Scott and his girlfriend Emma in Deland, Florida. I also hear he bought an X5 (instead of a truck) to ship over here.
Weather report: We had a scary drive up to Baumholder this morning. There had been freezing rain all night and so there was about a half an inch of ice on everything....cars, roads, steps, trees, you name it! Then it melted and started snowing. It's been snowing all day, but just now started sticking. Forecast says snow for the next 3 days. I'm getting used to it, I think :)
Well that's it for this week. It was a fun one...
love and miss you all,
-corri
Yesterday Mike, Missy and Chris arrived looking a little stunned and wiped out from the whole packing, moving, traveling half way across the world experience. I was so happy to see them...they looked mah-velous to me!
We spent the day driving around the base, Spesbach, Hütschenhousen, Landstuhl and Einsiedlerhof. We gave them a tour of our house and then we went to lunch at Chili's on base and then got them checked in to their temporary housing. Missy and I went to the commisary to stock up their fridge. They held up pretty good and boy do I remember that "i've hit the wall" feeling they were feeling by the time we dropped them off. I can't tell you how excited we are that they are here sharing this awesome experience with us!!
Today I went to Baumholder for their branch conference. It was such a neat experience. This is a military branch about an 45 minutes north of here. It is mostly army and they deploy as a post, so every other year or so they all pack up and deploy for a year and leave their young little families with only about 5 priesthood leaders to watch over them. They returned from deployment a few months ago and so the branch was about as full as it gets. There were 9 women in Relief Society, 5 young men, 3 young women. It is a very small branch! They were so happy and appreciative to have all the stake leaders there. I am so amazed and impressed at their strength, faith, and dedication. I was just constantly holding back the tears as their Bishop told us some of the experiences these young little families have been through. They meet in a big house that has been nicely converted to a church building. The Relief Society room was about 12x12 and had four rows of 5 chairs, a piano, and a small table at the front of the room. The chapel was small and didn't have pews, but rows of chairs. I wish I had been able to take some pictures, but I was just too busy to take out my camera.
Travis and I are counting the days until Mike gets home. Only about 6 days to go! I hear he had a great weekend visiting with Scott and his girlfriend Emma in Deland, Florida. I also hear he bought an X5 (instead of a truck) to ship over here.
Weather report: We had a scary drive up to Baumholder this morning. There had been freezing rain all night and so there was about a half an inch of ice on everything....cars, roads, steps, trees, you name it! Then it melted and started snowing. It's been snowing all day, but just now started sticking. Forecast says snow for the next 3 days. I'm getting used to it, I think :)
Well that's it for this week. It was a fun one...
love and miss you all,
-corri

Nice big font to look like you wrote more. :)
ReplyDelete