Let me start with the weather report. People who have been here for awhile say this has been an unusual period of snow, ice and cold. Normally when it snows here, it is a lot like Boise. It looks pretty for a day and then melts away. The good news is the temperatures have risen and it is raining outside right now. The snow is finally melting! We are hoping to see some sun tomorrow for the first time in a couple of weeks. That will be a welcome sight for sure!
We started the week out with a chilly emergency. I realized on Monday morning that there was no hot water and that the radiators were cold...no heat! Thankfully we have a fireplace and if you remember from a previous blog..LOTS of wood. So I built a fire and waited for Horst to get home from work. When he came over, he was able to go up to the attic and get it working again. I am thankful for hot water and warm radiators.
Tuesday was another USO German baking class. On the left, Aprikosen-Eierlikör Torte (Apricot Egg Liquor Torte). On the right, Nektarinen-Quark-Taschen (nectarine quark pockets).
Yummy stuff!!
Wednesday it was snowing like crazy when I took Travis in to seminary. I came home and got ready to go back to the base for a ROSC (Ramstein Officer's Spouses Club) meeting and it kept snowing. By the time we got finished with our meeting, it was a snowy, slippery mess on the roads. After seeing a car smashed head on into a light pole on base and another slide off on the road to Spesbach, I was so happy to park the mini safely in the carport and be home safe and sound. They ended up sending all non essential people home from the base and almost sent all the kids home early. I called Bro. Jaster and got Travis a ride for the next morning because for the first time, I was just too worried about being able to get him to school.
If you are wondering what the title of this blog entry "On belay.." is all about, well Karma talked to me in to going to a belay certification class with a group of ladies. So, after working my weak little muscles into a state of jello at sculpt and tone class, we headed over to the Outdoor Recreation Center in the KMCC and learned how to tie some crazy knots, how to cram your feet into special shoes that are meant to cut off the circulation in your toes, how to put on a harness that emphasizes and draws attention to an area one usually tries to make look smaller, how to speak a new language which is usually preceeded with a lot of "do I say belay on or on belay?" Do you say "climb on or climbing?" I had no trouble at all learning when to say "falling!!" We also learned how to hang from said harness in the middle of the air and how to try to keep your partner from splatting to the ground when she yells "falling!" It was a really fun class and I have to say the instructors had their hands full with about 14 of us yakking women.
On Saturday, Travis decided he would like to get belay certified as well. He met his friend, Dallin and they took the same belay certification class. They had a much quicker class and then spent an hour just climbing and bouldering. It was fun to watch them. They look a lot alike and are the same size. They make good rock climbing partners.
Well that's about it for this week. We are half way through the month, which means Mike will be back in two weeks. That is good. We miss him a lot! It also means my least favorite month of the calendar year is half over! For some reason it is always a hard month for me. The good news is our friends, Mike and Missy will be moving here and arrive on Saturday!
I am looking forward to helping them settle in and getting familiar with the area. That should keep me busy until the end of the month.
I hear Mike has been fighting a mean cold and that he has purchased a vehicle and is going to ship it over here. He neglected to mention to me exactly what kind of a vehicle he purchased (he's such a tease!) My bet is it's a truck, which will fit nicely on the very small village roads over here. It's o.k......I drive a mini!!
love and miss you all!
-corri

Those treats look yummy. What are they called and what are they made of? Natasha
ReplyDeleteGood idea...I went back and edited in what they were. (besides 'yummy")
ReplyDelete